The story revolves around the journey of a young and naive American girl, Sidonie O'Shea, who tries to undiscover the mysterious disappearance of her fiance, Etienne Duverger. Etienne is the only reason that kept her breathing, after the death of her mother and the tragic accident that took her father's life and shattered hers. For a naive girl who had never left her small town, she made a no-turning-back decision when she bought a one-way ticket to Marrakesh.
All she has as the guide to find his fiancee's whereabout is a letter from Etienne's sister that she found from the trash bin from his empty room. And that was when she realized that she had known nothing about her fiancee or his family, except that he has a sister who lives in Marrakesh. She feels that he is in some kind of danger when he suddenly disappeared after she revealed the good news that she bears their child. And her suspicions grew stronger when she found out that he left in such a hurry without a single word to her.
The Saffron Gate definitely shows Sidonie as the main character, has a very strong yet naive heart but, on my first impressions, I must say that Im just a little underwhelmed. As the journey began, I began to relate myself to this girl. I could feel her worries that she tried to mask by being strong and stubborn. I can reason some of her stupid decisions, and along with her, I have a sky high hope that she will eventually meet him..and like any other fairy tales, ended with being "happily ever after".
Without using bombastic words and manipulating complicated situations to create the twists in the book, The Saffron Gate is easily a page turner, while at the same time, this is one of the few books that I wouldnt want to leave out even a page unread, since not only that the journey and life in Marrakesh was beautifully and precisely described, but yet, I felt that I 'grew' up with Sidoney along the journey. From a naive, 'ugly worm' that simply live lazily one day to another, she emerged into a strong, carefree and 'beautiful' butterfly that speaks her own mind.
This is certainly one of the best "romance adventure" book that I would love to recommend to novel lovers out there. It has all the right ingredients- consistent and well thought characters, and solid and interesting background, that only those with the experience can write such interesting scenes in Marrakesh. There are few things that I would love for the author to elaborate more especially the part in the Blue Man's village, but I think what was written there was adequate enough for a romance story. It is also rare that when for the first time, I find flashback in the early parts of the book as being interesting :P Normally, I would just skip the flashback part, be it in any book or movie :D
I like the scenes described in this book. I love how the author really portrayed the main character, Sidonie, as being physically and emotionally imperfect but grows up as we turn on to the next page. I adore how the main character is able to see certain things from both non-Muslim and Muslim point of views. And I simply love the twists in the end of the story. The book is not overly worded but rich and lovely.
How many stars? Hmm...As many as possible, since it had brighten my days :)
4 Whisperers:
apa endingnyer? dpt crk tunang?, apa sebenonya berlaku..ishh buat suspen jer..
salam lady z
saya terharu awak acknowledge saya huhu
anyway, rasa macam nak cari pulak buku ni
selalunya kan kita akan suka dengan cerita yang kita boleh relate situasinya
sebab tu saya suka cerita little women, little house on the prairie
semuanya kisah tentang adik beradik perempuan yang ramai :)
isk isk ayu..nak bagitau karang spoiler la pulak...hint sket yer, klu nak nanti kita msg kat fb :P
mmm. dia jumpa tunang dia, tapi apa yang dia jumpa tak sama dengan apa yang dia sangka...
ngehehehe... satisfied tak jawapan camnih?
ida,
honorable mention tuh..hehe.
saya suka jer klu awak tulis ulasan buku or dorama, or klu awak cerita sekalipun...cam tunggu teduh dulu tuh..walaupun sy tak suka ft tapi rasa cam best jer buku tuh..hehe, ntah hapa2
kalau ada masa tulis lagi pleaseeeee, kongsi2 ilmu :D
p/s: sy pun suka cerita2 awak ckp tuh, wpun dua beradik je perempuan, tapi saya selalu berangan konon2 kehidupan lalu saya adalah kat prairie...wakakaka. Angau~
Post a Comment