My master thesis is titled "text-to-speech synthesis system for standard malay".
The title sounds too general, since it is!I've moduled the Natural Language processing (NLP) part and Digital Signal Part (DSP) for my Text-to-speech system(tts), chose from a lot of available theory and rules and remodified them and applied them to my tts. Crazy work arr...Tweak some programming codes... Did a little bit of this and that
During one conference 2 years ago (b4 submitting thesis), I met this Assoc Prof from other uni, since her student was presenting something really related to mine, I asked her opinion on my thesis. Basically they were doing some small part in collaboration with Mimos. But adequate enough for a master thesis. The following are the conversion that I would never forget.
Me: Prof, basically Im doing a project related to this as well. But Im doing the tts for standard malay.
Assoc prof: What?! You want to do the tts, the speech engine from scratch?!
Me: Yeah. What dou you think, Prof? Is this thesis too ambitious?
Assoc Prof: (Laughing hard from her stomach)
Me: Can you give me any opinion, prof?
Assoc prof: (Still laughing very hard and shaking her head)
I was so angry at that time. Retarded prof in loose!
Basically I was expecting her to come out with technical opinions or NLP ideas. But instead, she was just laughing at me and my thesis.
Then during Q&A, I asked her supervisee after the girl presented her master thesis in the conference. Some technical stuff but very2 simple. The girl was shaking while answering my question... Tak answer pun sebenarnya. And the prof cant even help...
Huhu... Sama jer...
When you arent really good at your stuff, dont you think you can cover them with laughing at others'. Not me!
Basically they were laughing at me because they were not confident with what I were doing.
Maybe because they cant do the same, but I just did!!
Thesis defended: 30th July 2008.
Tq Prof Dr. OOK, internal external, friends and all who has been helping me in all possible ways.
Sunday, August 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 Whisperers:
k.zakiah...tahniah2..penantian sudah berakhir..omedetou..!!..
Watashi mo gambarru kara!! ouenshite ne..!!..:P
Tahniah...
zakiah, our beloved SV sekrg dah Prof eh?
tq tq...
8 bulan lamanya tunggu viva. Dh abish alhmdulillah.
SV kita assoc prof lg..hehe...pjg sgt nk tulih
salam..kak zakiah..congrat.nnt masuk blog dyn tau..ada fun activity
Post a Comment